Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Planted Tank Journal

TOPIC: Dutch's 155 Planted Tank

Dutch's 155 Planted Tank 6 years 10 months ago #49154

Starting all over. I tore the tank down today, cleaned everything and it's ready to go.
I have some Manzanita wood that I ordered, will be here late next week. This scape is going a different route then I've done in the past. The substrate that I am going with will be pulverized top soil with red pottery clay. I plan on capping this off with Black Diamond blasting compound which is basically inert coal slag. I wanted to do this project on the cheap side, so instead of spending lots of bucks on a commercial substrate, I'm going to make my own.

Basically I'm starting a terrarium!

I plan on using DSM (dry start method) to grow the plants out before flooding the tank. This stage will take around 3 months or so. This does 2 things:

1. it will mineralize the soil which will "break in" the substrate. There should be no issues with "new tank" syndrome, algae, etc. Because I'm going the DSM route, there is no need to process the dirt under the normal MTS method. This will save me the time, and hassle of having to go through all those rinse/dry cycles.

2. it will allow me to grow a massive carpet of foreground plants. I'm thinking either HC, clover, gloss or all three. I'm also going to grow out any plants that will acclimate to emersed growth.

I will try and keep a running journal here to update you on progress and hopefully success!

Here is the blank canvas:

Specs:

155 bow front tank. 72 x 24 x 21(roughly)

Substrate:
Soil\Clay with dolomite and potash underneath. Cap will be using Black Diamond blasting compound.

Lighting:
320 watts T5HO AquaMedic SunBeam (2 @ 2x80 watt) Geisemann midday and aquaflora bulbs
130 watts CFL (2 x65 watt) Current dual-daylight

Filtration:
Fluval FX5, Eheim 2229 wet\dry, Eheim 1103 needle wheel (used for CO2 injection)

Fertilization:
Estimate Index

Flora:
Staurogyne reopens
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Glossostigma elatinoides
Fissidens Fontanus
Pogostemon helferi
Eriocaulon cinereum
Hydrocoytle sibthorpides
Needle leaf java fern

Diandra (Didiplis diandra)
Rotala Magenta (Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf')
Rotala Wallichii (Rotala wallichii)
Mayaca (Mayaca fluviatilis)
Rotala Indica (Rotala roundifolia)

Fauna:
<TODO>

Current Shot:

Lots more to come!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Dutch.

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49155

so where's the rescape? :laugh: I can't wait to see this :woohoo:

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49156

I'm excited to see how this progresses! I am pretty much doing the same thing for my 75 minus the dry start

Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49157

HC on a tank that big? How many $100s is that! Stoked to see this get going.

Tyler Sudduth

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49162

Dude...you da' man, I'm giddy just looking at the "blank canvas"!!! :woohoo:

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49167

Patient man for sure. I am sure it will look great in a few weeks or months. Quite an undertaking.

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49170

Wow looking forward to seeing this progress.

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49398

Wood got here! i just got back from out of town and have been playing around with arrangements.
Need some input here.
Which setup do you like better, A or B. (or neither)

A

B

Next step is a week-long soak and cleaning of the wood. Then the fun stuff begins!

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49400

I like A better

Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49401

A. Kind of fits the "2/3rds rule" better, which in my opinion is almost always right.

Tyler Sudduth

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49403

Going with B

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49405

I like B, and maybe smaller peices in front? No large rocks? I like it without the larger rocks if you have alot of plants..knowing you.. Thanks for your detailed posts on the planted builds. I look forward to seeing this substrait and how it works for you. I wounder what kind of fish you will put in here in the near furture.. :P Thanks for sharing. I really like the wood. Should be a cool tank John.

Shane

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49410

Okay, my $0.02;

I love driftwood/hardscape and the "history" it adds to a new tank. As with artwork a tank should create a feel of flow as if a snippit of a biome, not an end. My eye ends either in the center and does not travel further (which makes a big difference on plant selection, rocks, slope, etc) or is just confused as to direction.

Think of a continuous current traveling for years down a river or through a lake...the path is leaves, and where it is going...

What is your story, who will inhabit it and why...

Are you creating the shores of Table Rock Lake or the rocky beds of Lake Tanganyika?

Sorry for the diatribe (coming from one that does NOT do planted but, studied art history) :-P

This is an AWESOME tank in the making, and I wish I had it!!! :-) You are bold to ask for "opinions"

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49428

Ok, I ended up not using A or B ;)

after looking at the wood and trying to decide what theme that I was trying to create I decided to go with something different. I went out to the garage and grabbed the saw and when the dust settled, this was the result.

The analogy is an ancient tree on top of a hill with a descending root structure overlooking the younger tree on the right.

The picture doesn't do it justice, there are branches coming down all sides of the hill.
Yes that is panty hose that makes up the base of the hill. This is used as a foundation for the substrate and should not deteriorate over time. I used some old inert substrate from the old tank to use.

I was surprised by how clean the wood was, after scrubbing and soaking, their are no floaters so on with the scape. Time for the substrate to go in.

I also got some plants ordered today, should be here in a few days.

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49429

where did you get your wood?

Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49430

Love the left tree, I actually think it will work MUCH better with the carpeting. Did you do HC/Glosso? In my opinion, which is often wrong, dwarf hair grass would look neat as its much like.. Well grass and a tree.

Are all of the wood pieces of the main tree weighted down? Some don't look like it, but I'm sure you've got it all figured out.

Tyler Sudduth

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49431

I got the wood from Tom Barr. he has a very nice selection and is always gathering more. Here is a link:

Manzanita Wood

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49433

Ooohhh~I like that 'scape a lot!!! Going to be beautiful with the plants!! :woohoo:

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49434

Looks awesome. I like the final idea and look forwarding to watching the progress.

James

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49435

Oh my... Just clicked on the wood link :)

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49448

Ok, here goes, step by step.

Step 1. Prepare the clay.
I took the red clay that I bought from Micheles hobby store, chopped i up into small pieces, added some water and mixed it up into a red soup. You can also see the bag of black diamond blasting compound from tractor supply.

Step 2. Mud time!
Take your dirt that you bought, throw it in a container and pour half of the mud soup into it. I used a 50 pd bad of pulverized soil from Suburban lawn and garden which is very fine and dust like. You want to mix about 5 - 10% clay to dirt, so in this case I'm using about 2.5 pds of clay for 50 pds of dirt. add more water until it's a consistency like pancake mix.

Step 3. levy time.
You can skip this step if you want, but I did not want to see the mud through the glass. I made a 2 inch wall around the front and sides of the glass.

Left side:

Right side:

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49449

Step 4. Ferts!

To the bottom of the tank and anywhere lese that the mud will be placed add your dolomite and potash. You just want enough so that you can still see the glass underneath.

EDIT

When I do this again, I think that i would mist the tank so that the fertilizer sticks to where you want it to go, keeps from rolling "down the hill".

Left side:

Right side:

Step 5. Apply the mud.
Carefully add the mud mixture to the bottom of the tank and cover the area completely. For this step I made a 1 to 1.5 inch layer of this stuff. Ended up using about 80 pds of dirt.

Shot of the mud pit:

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49450

Step 6. Nylon mesh.
This step is optional, but I wanted to be sure that the mud stays where it is supposed to. Also this step helps if you ever have to pull a plant out by keeping most of the mud in place.
The cheapest nylon mesh I could find ended up being wedding veil material from a hobby store.

You want to cut the mesh to fit the area that you are covering. I pushed it down into the mud some to get it to stick better:

Left side:

Right side:

Step 7. The cap.
For a cap i went with the black diamond stuff mentioned earlier. I made this layer about 1.5 inches.

Left side:

Right side:

My hardscape is now complete and is ready for planting. I have some plants coming, and need to order more. I figure the emersion phase will take about 10-12 weeks, so I will have a big terrarium for 3 months!

More to come as plants arrive, etc...

Re: Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49453

looks great so far! Can't wait to do the same thing this summer

Dutch's 155 rescape project 6 years 10 months ago #49454

Amazing.. Looks better than I imagined, stoked John, keep us updated.

Tyler Sudduth
Moderators: Dutch
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds