What’re you up to?

TSudduth

So as someone who checks HAAS daily hoping for new content, maybe this will be a way to spark a discussion amongst ourselves (or it won’t!)

What’s everyone up to?

Raising a new batch of fry? Trying to convince unwilling participants to spawn for you? Acquired a new plant your nursing? Considering leaving the hobby and currently breaking down your set up? I WANT TO KNOW.

I’m cycling a 120 gallon tank 4x2x2 I recently resealed and built a frame for. I built a rack recently for 5 tanks. I fixed a t5ho light and organized my co2/dehumidifier set up for my fish room.

Let’s talk, what are you doing? Nothing? Cool let’s talk about that! Pictures? Let’s see em!

I have 10-12 batches of Star sapphire cichlids growing out. I have 2 batches of albino zebra cichlids growing out. I will start putting fish outside Monday if all things go as planned. I have 15 plus tanks and 55 gallon barrel halves and 3 100 gallon tubs. Fish I may put out are cherry barbs, zebra danios, white cloud minnows, both gold and regular. I have 4 or 5 different barbs to chose from. I will put out some of the cichlids. I am thinking maybe putting out my clown killies. I will be putting out several different strains of guppies for sure. I may rotate them all in and out as they spawn for me. I might be able to put another one or two tanks out. I really don't have any set plans. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures yet. Between gardening and my fish, I stay very busy. I also am going to try and complete some house projects and car repairs in my spare time.

TSudduth

I have 10-12 batches of Star sapphire cichlids growing out. I have 2 batches of albino zebra cichlids growing out. I will start putting fish outside Monday if all things go as planned. I have 15 plus tanks and 55 gallon barrel halves and 3 100 gallon tubs. Fish I may put out are cherry barbs, zebra danios, white cloud minnows, both gold and regular. I have 4 or 5 different barbs to chose from. I will put out some of the cichlids. I am thinking maybe putting out my clown killies. I will be putting out several different strains of guppies for sure. I may rotate them all in and out as they spawn for me. I might be able to put another one or two tanks out. I really don't have any set plans. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures yet. Between gardening and my fish, I stay very busy. I also am going to try and complete some house projects and car repairs in my spare time.
that’s awesome Walter. I think clown killies are my favorite of the killies.

I don’t know if my wife will let me put fish outside this year.. I was considering a nice planter with some guppies or something outside for the summer..

A 110 gallon tuff stuff tub could be made into a water feature pretty easy. Justin will be talking about ponds and pond plants this Saturday at our meeting. He really knows his stuff and I always come away with new ideas. All my outside tubs and containers are above ground. All my tanks and small containers are under the deck in the shade. I have in the past put them outside with no aeration. This year I took the airstone out of my koi pond and used the the airline to put airstones in all my outside containers. I haven't put out the killies yet. I am not sure I will. I have every thing out except I remembered one more. I have 2 pair of pearl gourami's I want to put out one pair. I have a new obstacle this year. One of the feral cats that wants to be a indoor cat has taken an interest in the fish. I don't think she can do any harm. I have covered some of the fish tanks that have fish that are on the surface a lot.

jcurts

I have set up my 3 ponds all are preformed some ponds biggest about 200 gal. One is a pond for my Yellow-eared sider so no fish or plants. If Ray brings me more culls, there may fish for a little while. the other ponds will be stocked with cories and livebearers eventually. I am hoping someone will bring some for-sale Saturday. I really want some sailfin mollies I can grow big outside. I took some pics of the ponds progress, but I forgot how to post them. 🤬🤬🤬

KeyAquatics

Summer season has begun. Rice fish have begun the summer breeding and I have been collecting eggs for the past few weeks. They are starting to hatch good and bad I guess 🤣 i should of guessed if I started collecting eggs I would need to have more space for fry grow out. As a bonus project now I have a reason to create a fry grow out system, may be a bit easier than having all the bowls in the fishroom. Ponds sound like a lot of fun to see what happens moving fish outside will have to look into that a bit more as that would be a new adventure in fish keeping.

Reactions: Ray

TSudduth

A 110 gallon tuff stuff tub could be made into a water feature pretty easy. Justin will be talking about ponds and pond plants this Saturday at our meeting. He really knows his stuff and I always come away with new ideas. All my outside tubs and containers are above ground. All my tanks and small containers are under the deck in the shade. I have in the past put them outside with no aeration. This year I took the airstone out of my koi pond and used the the airline to put airstones in all my outside containers. I haven't put out the killies yet. I am not sure I will. I have every thing out except I remembered one more. I have 2 pair of pearl gourami's I want to put out one pair. I have a new obstacle this year. One of the feral cats that wants to be a indoor cat has taken an interest in the fish. I don't think she can do any harm. I have covered some of the fish tanks that have fish that are on the surface a lot.
]
Other than shade, how do you keep the stuff cool?

I think I’d like to have plants etc in there, so I’d need some light..

Its been a long time since I did anything outside, when I did it was just native fish in a stock tank that I pumped water from into a bucket that had holes into it hanging above the tank to aerate it, but I didn’t think much about temp.

jcurts

Floating plants and lily pads help keep a pond cooler, as does evaporation but that is also a problem.

I have found that frog bit really covers the top. I have the koi pond (900+ gallons) and 2-110 gallon containers out in the direct sun. I have 4-55 gallon 1/2 barrels in the sun until about 1 pm. With all the water lilies that Justin brought to the meeting, I should have a lot of shade from them. In the koi pond I have one big water lily and floating baskets that I made with water hyacinths, water lettuce, and frog bit. If I didn't have plant baskets the koi would eat all my plants. In the 110 tuff stuff tubs and smaller tanks and containers, I have guppy grass or hornwort growing under the lilies and frog bit. Another way to cool off a tubs is to do a water change. So far I haven't had to do that. I water my raised bed garden from the koi pond.