Southwest Missouri

mrtangtank

Hey, Peter! I'm in Joplin, also! 😃 So glad to see another Joplinite here! I've thought long and hard about trying to get a local scene going, as my wife and I currently run Vintage Swing Movement Joplin (a local dance group) and thus are fairly well connected in the community... But I haven't been brave enough to pull the trigger yet. (We've got a lot going on!) I'd be curious to know if there have been any past attempts at an aquarium group here. So far I've just met other enthusiasts through Facebook, but there's obviously enough in the area to sustain Becky's, and I'm sure the admins of the Joplin Give & Take Aquatics and Exotics FB group would be on board with trying to get people together!

That being said, the desire for like-minded community led me to this group, for which I'm grateful! (The other alternative was Missouri Aquarium Society (MASI) out of St. Louis, and their website didn't make near as good an impression. :LOL:) I see the same is true for you!

I've thought about making the trip up to KC for the July speaker event. I love your idea of a breakout group from this club! If we had enough people, our local scene could totally be a chunk that benefits from each other locally, while staying connected with and supporting the larger KC scene. 😀

So what fish do you keep? I'm a freshwater planted guy myself, who's been in the hobby seriously for about the last 4 years, and who recently started making the move to Tanganyikan cichlids. (I'm bit by the bug!) Obviously my username was one made in haste given my level of cichlid experience, but I'm not mad about it. 😜

How about you? Any fish you're particularly fond of keeping? 😃

-Zach

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is a great idea to roadtrip to events. Things that are 4-6 hours make for great fishy conversation. We have taking a lot of excursions down near Joplin and other parts of Southern Missouri to go collecting fish. We go about every other year. Plus we often roadtrip to Rogers for the NWAAS events and the MASI events in St. Louis. We'd be happy to place a section on our website where you could post Joplin events if you want. That way you could gather some momentum. Then if down the line you want to establish a separate club, you can always do that, too. But getting a nice forum is a huge blessing for sure. It's too bad everyone is so tied to facebook. It really hurts the communication for fish clubs. I use facebook all the time, but I prefer forums as it is much easier to find threads and specific topics on the forum.

mrtangtank

I think it is a great idea to roadtrip to events. Things that are 4-6 hours make for great fishy conversation. We have taking a lot of excursions down near Joplin and other parts of Southern Missouri to go collecting fish. We go about every other year. Plus we often roadtrip to Rogers for the NWAAS events and the MASI events in St. Louis.

Love it! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for the Rogers trips and/or collecting near here! That all sounds like a blast. I've quietly watched the Rogers group from afar, but have yet to participate in events (despite it being only an hour away!)... maybe I should start keeping some closer tabs there. ;)

We'd be happy to place a section on our website where you could post Joplin events if you want.

Ah man, I wish Joplin was had anything resembling aquarist events! If ever this becomes a reality, it'd be awesome to forge a partnership. :)

But getting a nice forum is a huge blessing for sure. It's too bad everyone is so tied to facebook. It really hurts the communication for fish clubs. I use facebook all the time, but I prefer forums as it is much easier to find threads and specific topics on the forum.

You're telling me! I like Facebook for things like quick answers (with a grain of salt), but I'm finding I really enjoy the community and single-minded focus of forums. :) I've been enjoying checking into this one regularly at least!

Thanks for your encouragement and support, kcmikey! It's really nice to see admins supporting the far-flung members if their group. 😊