Shrimp + nano fish

Jade Tyto Alba

I just purchased a 40 gallon breeder that I want to set up as a planted tank. I'm just starting to add plants that I like. Eventually I would like to try to start a colony of cherry shrimp. Does anyone have any recommendations for reputable suppliers of healthy shrimp?

Also, I've done a lot of research on the internet and I know everyone says that it's basically impossible to have a self-sustaining colony of shrimp in a community aquarium or an aquarium with any fish in it. So no need to reinforce that advice, but I'm interested in hearing if anyone has personal experience and was able to make that work, particularly with small species of fish.

jer

I have a 10 gallon with pygmy corries and blue shrimp. The shrimp population is out of control, but you have to feed powder food regularly (in my case 2x 5 days a week) so most of the babies make it past the first week. I only say that because I have a 5 gallon shrimp only tank that is lightly fed and doesn't have the same 'success'.

I have a 29 gallon with 5 furcata rainbows, 3 ember tetras, and a BN pleco and none of them seem to bother the shrimp unless I go out of town for a weekend and they miss a couple feedings. I used to have honey sunset gourami in there too but they were constantly seen at the substrate, swimming throung the dwarf sag, snacking on the baby shrimps so I set up another tank just for them.

Good luck!

Jade Tyto Alba

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of white cloud mountain minnows. Maybe zebra danios, but I'm not sure about those because they seem a little boisterous.

Blue shrimp are my favorite! Do you have recommendations for obtaining them?

Tim

I have a strong colony of blue dream shrimp in a 29 gallon tank with Celestial Pearl Danios and ottocinclus. Have had this up a running for a couple years now and have not had any problems and have pulled extra shrimp out several time. I have a lot of floating plants in tank also. Also have a separate smaller colony with black bar endlers. Shrimp stay hidden a little more but doing well.

Jade Tyto Alba

Thanks for sharing. That is definitely encouraging. I don't suppose anyone would be willing to part with a few blue dream? I'm still cycling but hope to be ready in a few weeks.

Duane Perry

Put a ton of rock piles and crevices in the tank and let the shrimp get established long before you add the fish and you should be fine. Flip aquatics would be my suggestion for the shrimp, but there are many members with shrimp including myself.