SEACHEM TIDAL FILTERS?

Paul G

I am considering purchasing a SeaChem (Sicce) Tidal75 power filter for the quarantine/holding tank. I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this line of filters. It appears to be a decent item from a features and performance standpoint, but I am especially concerned with how noisy it is. I have a good AquaClear50 that works okay but it buzzes, especially with the cover on, much like my AquaClear20s and AquaClear30 did, all of which I have discarded. I have a hope that a filter of newer design might be generally superior mechanically, and that SeaChem's reputation investment in this line is suggestive of that.

The Tidal75 is not an inexpensive device as comparable box filters go, so I don't want to be saddled with it if it's noisy. I'm sure it will perform per spec and is a very good filter, but it must be quiet.

I would like to hear from anyone in a position to comment.

Daffyfish

I’ve never used one. But they are supposed to be quieter than the AquaClears. I haven’t tried one because of the skimmer being a part of it.

Paul G

Well, I got to looking at the AquaClear to see if there was anything that could be done about it. I figured out why the noise and decided I had nothing to lose if I tried the fix and destroyed the thing anyway. So I did it and the thing works terrific. No noise, lots of water. Just like a good aquarium filter ought.

Saved me some of the cash I need for some more cardinal tetras!

BillyO

My Aquaclear 110 is super quiet I can only hear the water when it gets low. I ordered a Penn-Plax Cascade off Amazon for a spare tank and that thing is extremely quiet also. The only issue is the Bio falls slows the flow way down so I took it out.

Mitch mackey

The tidal is better if you want to spend the extra the selling point for me is the in tank pump vs the in filter pump. Never looses prime