question regarding chloramine

xdoomsongx

So, I'm working on getting my tank ready for cycling. From the tap I measure about 1ppm ammonia. I verified that my rural water district is now using chloramine. It's my understanding that it reads as ammonia when testing.

I'm using chloram-x to treat, but I'm showing .5 ppm ammonia even after treating. Treated Water changes don't bring it down. I'll test again when I get home and see where things are at, but for the past week it's been sitting at .5 ppm.

Just wondering what might be going on. I'm using one teaspoon per 10 gallons as that's what I've been told is appropriate. The chloram-x is older, but was stored well and my understanding is that it doesn't lose effectiveness over time.

I haven't started cycling yet, I'm just trying to figure out why it's reading the ammonia if I'm treating. Would an increase in the chloram-x dose be needed?

Any thoughts appreciated.

xdoomsongx

Just an update, I think this might be the Chloram-x just being older. I went ahead and doubled the dose, and the ammonia is now setting lower. I'll pick up some new dechlorinator and see if that helps with the issue.

P&W

Prime and Safe are very similar products that perform basically the same functions but they are still slightly different products. Check out this YouTube link. I think this guy does a good job of explaining the differences and skip to about 2 min in if you want to bypass the adverts. He also gives a shout out to Jason Wilson who gave a fantastic talk to our club in January.
Good luck with cycling. We look forward to hearing how it turns out!

Walter Grunden

I have used Chloram-x powder for years and the current bucket is many years old. After a tank is cycled, I Never test my water. I have never had Chloram-x go bad as it is a powder. I use it in my ponds, tubs and tanks. Chloram-x was invented and produced in NKC by John Kuhns a life time member of HAAS. I am not sure who produces it now as I understand John is not in the best of health. I did have Prime liquid go bad. That is one of the reasons I use the powder. 1/8 t per 50 gallons. It lasts a long time.

Walter Grunden

In Short Any dechlorinator does not remove chloramine, it just holds it in suspension so the friendly bacteria can eat up the ammonia. So it is important to cycle a tank or jump start it from an established tank.