Introduce yourself

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
Thought this would be a well needed fun activity where each of us can introduce ourselves and tell us a little bit about what you like to do in the aquarium hobby.

Name:
Where you live:
Family?
Club affiliations:
How long in the hobby?:
Favorite types of fish:
Anything else you are into beside aquatic pets:

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
I'll go first
Name: Michael Meyer
Family? Married to my wife, Trish. Two kids (Corey and Makenzie) and 2 dogs.
Club Affiliations: Lifetime member of HAAS and ACA. Sometimes involved with NANFA, MASI and other regional clubs and any that have to do with Catfish.
How long in the hobby?: I have been keeping and breeding fish for 45 years. My first fish that I spawned was swordtails, but I was really jazzed when my zebra danios went nuts in that 29 gallon tank. Rescuing fry in the white dolomite gravel chunks was so exciting too me. Been hooked ever since. I have spawned over 100 species of fish and still get excited by seeing baby fish.
Favorite types of fish: Such a tough question! Who comes up with these questions anyway? Probably catfish. They can be a little more challenging and thus rewarding. Catfish are the most widespread variety of fish in the world. My favs are the synodontis, but love plecos and corys, too. I especially love spawning other less popular catfish like woodcats or the mouthbrooding catfish. There is so much variety in the way catfish spawn. Never a dull moment. I do also love livebearers, tetras, barbs and cichlids a lot too. For cichlids, I prefer those that are less aggressive. I especially like the west African cichlids and thoroughly enjoy the parenting skills that so many cichlids exhibit. It is especially cool to see a tiny dwarf cichlid that shows the voracity of a protective parent or mouthbrooding at such a tiny size. Truly a miracle of nature! And then there are native fish. Nothing more fun than going out to a local creek and catching your own fish for the aquarium. It is absolutely a fun activity that everyone in the hobby should try. Even if you don't keep any fish, it is a great learning experience to see how fish behave in nature!
Anything else?: I have lots of hobbies and like to always keep busy. My new job at T-Mobile helps me out with that alot. Plus maintaining over 60 tanks of fish and fry takes up a lot of time. My wife and I decompress by watching a few sitcoms and crime dramas. I do enjoy photography and doing a bit of ancestry gathering but not too much time to do as much of that as I'd like.

Last edited: