Holey Rock, Dragon Stone or some such

subdivide

Howdy all,

I am going to pick up a 55 tomorrow and fill it up. It will be used to house and grow out 6 C. frontosa until they need a 120 or like a Lake Tanganyika situation. At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had, or had an inside track on, some Texas Holey or something similar?

I already have 1 nice piece of Holey, so if I change it up, I would have to make a plan for how the whole tank will look when it's matured a bit. They love this little reptile pyramid that shouldn't be there, but old habits die hard.

I am trying to encourage free swimming and more agressive behavior, in general.

Of course I can use other stones. Salt and pepper doesn't look terrible with them but I prefer black slate and it can be siliconed together pretty easy. Round stones are hard to get still.

jcurts

House of Rocks is always a good place to go for all of your local rock needs. I know they carry holey rock and lace rock. They are used to dealing with aquarium wackos and actually allow you to go out in the yard and pick out your rock (for liability reasons they probably should not).

Last edited:

jcurts

I also see there is base rock listed for the auction and that works well in African Cichlid tanks as well.

House of Rocks is always a good place to go for all of your local rock needs. I know they carry holey rock and lace rock. They are used to dealing with aquarium wackos and actually allow you to go out in the yard and pick out your rock (for liability reasons they probably should not).
They are a good source of Aquarium gravel. I have bought a lot of gravel and rocks from them over the years. They also are a sponsor of the KC Water Garden Tour.

subdivide

Sweet. I didn't see your suggestion until today. I kind of rethought things and i may go with dark slate again. It's pretty easy to build up vertically without taking a lot of actual volume. And, it's not all scrapy and sharp.

It doesn't help the water at all save for some copper that can be in green slate but our water here is very hard.

Or if they have good holey rock I may grab a couple more nice chunks and call it good.

I love their name, so I have to check it out.

KayakPatti

You're going to love House of Rocks. My family teases me and the staff recognize me after many years of going there. They will totally let you wander all around the huge outdoor space and offer you a beat up wagon to drag around too. They don't look sideways at you either when you get excited about finding the perfect rocks!! Two big thumbs up.

subdivide

Well, you all were right. The House of Rocks has a rock or two. That's how I remember picking rocks for aquariums for years but these places are harder and harder to find now. Especially with the variety of materials, size choice, color choice.

I didn't do it this time b/c the cart that KPatti mentioned was just about right but I try to trace the dimensions of the tank I'm thinking about in the dirt and see how things stack up, literally. Before anything gets silconed in place, it's good to see it in 3D which you can do there.

The yard manager introduced himself and had the same as myself, so that's always fun.

I think they should play Rock music pretty loud on outdoor speakers in the yard, whatever kind of Rock they are into there's different kinds, and just Rock it out because they Rock and they are the House of Rocks.

Just makes sense.

(y)(y):cool:(y)(y)

subdivide

I mean we could start a phone in campaign, email list type thing or just an all out boycott if anyone thinks this is as important as I do.

We boycott the BBQ joint, but we have to buy the rocks. What are we, animals? Morrissey said meat is murder. I'm not so sure. But I need the rocks and please have The Who By Numbers cracking one time.

They'd get more work done. That's how we sell it.