Hey, Y'all! I'm Zach! Glad to be here. :)

mrtangtank

Hey, all!

As the title says, I'm Zach, and I'm super glad to be a part of this group! I live in Joplin, and I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 4 years, though I kept fish and turtles on and off growing up and always loved it! I got into the hobby after I finished college and decided to get a tank of my own, which led me to research online, discover aquascaping, and fall in love. I had found an addiction. 😁 That apartment had 3 tanks. The next place had only 1, as it was small, and I currently keep things manageable at a single 55 gallon Tanganyika setup and one 10 gallon planted "leave it alone" tank, home to Gertrude's Dwarf Blue Eyed Rainbowfish, a Blue Mustard Betta named Cedric, and some goldenback Neocaridinas.

Up to now I've kept things exclusively in the freshwater planted realm, but I was recently discovered Tanganyikan cichlids and fell in love (something I never thought would happen). Now I fear I may never go back! I'm looking forward to discovering all that African cichlids have to offer (Tanganyikan cichlids, especially) and to growing more as an aquarist as I take on this new challenge! I'm hoping this community will be a great resource as I venture further into the cichlid world. :)

Up to now, other freshwater critters I've kept include:
  • White Cloud Mountain Minnows
  • Panda, Julie, and Pygmy cories
  • Peacock Gudgeons
  • Scarlet Badis
  • Sparkling gouramis
  • Neocaridina davidi (red cherry, golden-back)
  • Amano shrimp
  • Short nose algae shrimp (Caridina longirostris)
  • Mystery, nerite, and oogles of pond snails.
  • Loads and loads of plants, both with and without CO2!
Fish I currently own include the aforementioned 10 gallon inhabitants, as well as a lone chalinochromis bifrenatus in the Tanganyikan setup who is waiting for COVID-19 to end so his human can buy him more tank mates! (For that matter, if anyone reading this breeds Tanganyikans—shellies or rock dwellers—hit me up! 😁)

As Joplin has no aquarium society (yet!), I'm so excited to see what you Kansas City people are all about! I can't wait to come up to some of your meets!

With great enthusiasm,

Zach

Last edited:

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
Zach, there is a club out of Rogers Arkansas that has a few members sprinkled up near Joplin and Springfield. Its a great club and worth the roadtrip to see their speakers and participate in their auctions. BTW, nice collection of micro fish! I love the little guys!

mrtangtank

Hey, kcmikey! Yes, I've kind of watched them on and off from afar for a little while now, but for some reason have never really become involved! And somehow, as I started looking around for communities, I didn't even think of them and went for one of the Missouri clubs instead (despite Rogers being only an hour away)! Call me crazy!

Thank you, though, for the recommendation and the reminder that there's a great club super close! I'll have to go look into them again. :)

BTW, nice collection of micro fish! I love the little guys!
Thanks! I love the way the little guys make the tank interesting both from afar and up close! They're my favorite! :D