Help! Raising Demasoni fry

jys17690

I have been trying to re-establish a demasoni breeding program. I finally got a school that breeds frequently but I am getting less than 5% of fry to adults. I have a separate grow out tank and I am feeding New Life Spectrum Grow. Not using carbon in my filters. Thanks for any guidance

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't messed with Demasoni before, but when I have this problem with other cichlids, here are a few things that I try.
1.) Don't remove the entire batch of fry. Many cichlids are pretty good at raising their own fry and many species show they grow more quickly and faster with the parents than separate. Why many people do raise fry separately is often they feel they can control the fry better, worried the fry might get eaten, want to get the parents started more quickly on the next batch of frying or just love to play step parent. All of these are valid reasons to try and raise fry.
I like to share the duties and not put my eggs all in one basket. Splitting with the parents 50/50. That does a couple things. First it diversifies what you are doing with the fry and gives you two (or more) chances to fail. It also allows your fish to form stronger bonds and parenting skills. I am amazed at how well parents can raise their fry in a community setting. Better than one might think. Another variation is to pull the fry later on. Give them a little longer with the parents.
2. Try different foods. I have found that better foods during the first few weeks can make a huge difference on success in raising up fry. I have noticed a lot of species have die offs when they are really young. Trying a few things of live BBS or a specialized fry food can help get you over the hump.
3. Give some of the fry to someone else to see if they have some good ways of raising up fry. You'd be surprised at some little change may make a big difference. Trading young fry around is a fun thing to do. I love babysitting fish!

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
I don't change near as much as I'd like. I am building a water change system while out during COVID QT. The key is doing it regularly and keep the water clean. Jack Taylor used to do 90%+ at least weekly on his discus, but they are used to regular flushes of water. I would be a bit nervous to do Malawi cichlids that large. Every other week I like to siphon 2 or 3 times the amount I add back in. That gets more bad water out but doesn't stress the fish as much when you add it back. For example, 40 gallon tank, siphon out 30 gallons, add 10 back, then next morning add another 10 and then following night the final 10. That is like doing a 50% water change the first night, the 33% the next morning and 25 that following evening. That is good for getting fish in the mood for spawning or quickly growing out fry. The theory is that if you change 10% weekly, it is not as effective as doing a larger water change but less often. As when you do the small water changes, you are changing some water that is fresher and not as old so it wouldn't be as effective. But in reality just doing any water changes is a good thing to do!

jys17690

Update- I have finally succeeded(forth attempt) in establishing a Demasoni breeding colony(?). The only thing I have changed is adding a piece of black open-cell foam to the front side of my filter. Doing 50% water changes every three weeks- and remembering to add the de-chlorinator. Demononis, red-finned albinos and yellow labs are all breeding with 1-3 females of each holding at any time. Next project is OB breeding, except I think I bought all males...