Apistogramma in KC?

Rwstaub

Anyone know of any LFS in the area that carry these? Looking for a pair as a centerpiece in my aquarium. Haven't had much luck, was curious if anyone has come accross them.

jcurts

Pet World in Lawrence has had several species to choose from the last few times I have been there. I have also seen them at Pet-topia. There are also several people in the club that have raised several different strains of rams if they work for you.

Rwstaub

Pet World in Lawrence has had several species to choose from the last few times I have been there. I have also seen them at Pet-topia. There are also several people in the club that have raised several different strains of rams if they work for you.
Awesome info, thanks for posting. I was considering both apistogramma and Rams. Any thoughts between the two that should swing me one way vs the other?

kcmikey

Staff member
If Lawrence is too far of a drive, you might check with Olathe Pets. The get their fish from the same supplier and often split shipments with Pet World. He has apistos in pretty often. Miles of Exotics does the same thing, so if you live up North you might check with him as well. In Independence, Live Art Aquatics has those types of fish, too. I'd call the stores and see what they can hook you up with.

kcmikey

Staff member
Rams are a little more common. Apistos are just very hard to find locally. Especially unusual varieties. Temperments are very similar, but rams are a little more domesticated so they tend to tolerate a less complicated water situation (soft and low pH).