Algae Scrubbers?

mrtangtank

Anybody out there have experience with DIY freshwater algae scrubbers? My water comes out of the tap with 40-80ppm nitrate (hard to tell on those freshwater charts), which I realize may not be the end of the world as most adult fish can handle it, but I'd love to find natural ways to bring it down, since the longer I stay in this hobby, the more expensive my fish get! ;P

I've toyed with the idea of both aquaponics (overhead sump style) and an algae scrubber. Just wondering if anyone's gone down this avenue before!

kcmikey

Administrator
Staff member
There was someone that experimented with some DIY algae scrubbers a few summers back, but don't recall their name.

RobertTantaros

I’ve built them in the past. Not difficult to build and they do work I just use cheap red LEDs off eBay and two black to go containers and an air pump there’s a lot of videos on YouTube on how to make them but if you have any questions feel free to message me

mrtangtank

Thanks, Robert!

I was actually able to find some fantastic information here (https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.264/), and this guy answers pretty much everything!

I've elected to build a sump to replace my canister to give me a place to run a waterfall style scrubber, that way I end up with less things inside my tank and way more filtration capacity. I got some aquaponics LEDs off Amazon that I'm planning on using for it, and I'm hoping to repurpose some glass from a cracked 40GB I have to help build the baffles and the scrubber! I'll put the build somewhere on the forum once it gets underway! 😊

(If I'm lucky, I may have enough glass left over to build a custom paludarium—if I do, I'll post that, too!)

Thanks for the offer of help! I'm glad to hear they work! If I have any questions I can't find the answer to along the way, I'll be sure to reach out! :D

Anybody out there have experience with DIY freshwater algae scrubbers? My water comes out of the tap with 40-80ppm nitrate (hard to tell on those freshwater charts), which I realize may not be the end of the world as most adult fish can handle it, but I'd love to find natural ways to bring it down, since the longer I stay in this hobby, the more expensive my fish get! ;P

I've toyed with the idea of both aquaponics (overhead sump style) and an algae scrubber. Just wondering if anyone's gone down this avenue before!
We have recently tried a few different diy aquaponic systems. My cell is 8167978999 if you have any questions.